How can you make sure your surveillance cameras are really helping to secure your building? Zurich’s commercial property insurance team offers 9 security camera tips to help you minimize your risk.
- Selection: Make sure your camera is of good quality and installed correctly to ensure proper visibility for current time and recorded viewing. Conducting a site security assessment can help determine your needs; using a professional installer is also important.
- Placement: Consider where previous incidents have occurred when selecting camera installation sites. As blind spots are discovered, budget for additional equipment. Installation also should be secure and not within reach of passersby.
- Recording method: Figure out how long you want to keep recordings. Will you use a loop system to record over prior events or will separate tapes be maintained for a set period before disposal or reuse?
- Real-time monitoring: Decide if your security staff needs monitors for real-time viewing. If so, hold them responsible for monitoring the screens on a regular basis.
- Staff training: Make sure employees avoid blocking the camera’s view. What good is a camera placed in a critical area if an employee is obstructing the camera’s lens?
- Footage retrieval: Label tapes with dates and areas to make search and retrieval easy and efficient.
- Incident investigation: Use recorded footage when investigating incidents.
- Maintenance and adjustment: Check periodically for equipment condition and adjustment needs. Your security or facilities management personnel should be able to inspect equipment, make minor adjustments (i.e., angle viewing changes) and know how to get equipment professionally repaired or replaced.
- Hand-held cameras: Consider purchasing a handheld video camera to tape planned and surprise drills and supplement your recording equipment.
In this era of heightened security risks for facilities in almost every industry, a well-thought-out security plan can be your best defense against criminal activity, security breaches and overall property damage.
Without proper planning and prevention, are premise liability claims more likely? Visit Zurich’s Property security site for additional resources to help you protect your facility.