Health and fitness facility owners and operators face a wide variety of exposures, from employee liability, facility hazards/safety, accidents and emergencies, and more.
Follow this checklist to focus on the key items needed to run a healthy and safe center
1. Do you have a formal set of procedures for responding to emergencies?
2. Do your hiring procedures include reference checks and criminal background checks?
3. Do you have a formalized crisis event plan in the event of an abusive acts allegation?
4. Has the staff signed policies regarding sexual harassment and proper conduct?
5. Is there a written incident/accident investigation protocol in place?
6. Are designated staff members certified/trained in First Aid /CPR/AED?
7. Does your facility have a system of physical inspections (e.g., checklists) to ensure the facility is safe and to help identify hazards?
8. Are swimming pools compliant with the Virginia Graeme Baker Act and have proper safety measures?
9. Does your facility utilize waivers developed and reviewed by counsel for all members and guests?
10. Do you know what steps to take in the event of a potential claim?
11. Does your facility have rules of conduct? Note: Please see the link to the International Health, Racquet & Sportsclub Association’s Guide to Club Membership & Conduct.
Share Zurich’s new Health and Fitness Center checklist with your clients to help ensure that procedures are in place for running a healthy fitness center.