The spark for progress
Realize your potential. Our innovative Apprenticeship Program lets you simultaneously gain the education and the experience to launch a rewarding career in commercial insurance. Zurich apprentices earn a salary, benefits and a degree, tuition-free, while unlocking new possibilities for their future.
Earn while you learn
Currently focused on Claims, Underwriting and Finance, Zurich’s two-year Apprenticeship Program combines targeted coursework at Harper College in northwest suburban Chicago with relevant work rotations at Zurich’s North American headquarters in Schaumburg, Illinois.
- Applications: Accepted in spring; classes start in late summer.
- Basic requirements: High school diploma or equivalent; college entrance exam.
- 3 days a week: On-the-job training at Zurich North America’s headquarters.
- 2 days a week: Classes at Harper College, one of the nation’s largest community colleges.
Apprentices who successfully complete the two-year program…
- Earn an Associate in Applied Science degree in Business Administration.
- Work in a full-time position at Zurich.
- Receive the designation of a Department of Labor Certified Insurance Apprentice.
- Possess credentials and skills for today’s marketplace.
Visionary leadership for the 21st century
Zurich's insurance Apprenticeship Program is the first to be certified by the U.S. Department of Labor. Zurich participates in the department’s ApprenticeshipUSA initiative, which includes a network of more than 150,000 employers in more than 1,000 occupations. The initiative is dedicated to developing a new generation of workers to help the U.S. succeed in the 21st century economy. In 2017, Zurich was proud to graduate its first class of apprentices.
See what others are saying
Insurance apprentices graduate from Zurich
—Chicago Tribune, March 7, 2016 The Daily Herald, December 7, 2017
Apprenticeships come to insurance and financial services industries
—Chicago Tribune, March 7, 2016
Chicago's future hinges on retooling schools for digital age
—Chicago Tribune, January 6, 2016
Working at Zurich is working for your community