Zurich North America Headquarters/LEED Platinum® Certification
What goes into LEED Platinum® certification?
(LEED® BD+C: CORE AND SHELL V3 - LEED 2009)
Zurich North America’s headquarters has been certified LEED Platinum®, the highest level of certification attainable in the LEED rating system. Developed by the U.S. Green Building Council® (USGBC), LEED is the preeminent program for the design, construction, maintenance and operations of high-performance green buildings. The project emphasized a holistic, integrated approach to sustainability, involving the full project team, as well as a strong commitment from Zurich to engage employees throughout the process. Select sustainable initiatives include the following:
62% energy cost reduction
- Received all points in the category.
- Cogeneration facility uses a natural gas-fueled engine to generate electricity, as well as capturing waste heat for other uses in the building.
- Efficient mechanical, electrical and plumbing systems – optimal sizing, etc.
39% domestic water use reduction
- Water-efficient fixtures (low-flow toilets and sinks).
- Rainwater harvesting and reuse.
- Tuning of façade for shading and orientation, including exterior shading and interior automated shades with daylight sensors
- Double wall mitigates the interior/exterior temperature difference, specifically on the south wall.
Great access to daylight
- 76% of regularly occupied spaces met the daylight criteria.
99% of construction and demolition waste diverted from landfill
- Used as much material on site as possible, with remainder sent to recycling facilities.
- More than 32% of materials manufactured and harvested within 500 miles of jobsite.
99% of wood used was Forest Stewardship Council (FSC) certified
- Addresses sustainable forest management.
- Additional prioritized parking provided for low-emitting and carpool vehicles.
- Stops for two public bus routes and consolidated, multi-level parking on site.
- Nearly 40-acre site with more than 70% open/softscape.
- Includes more than 1 acre of green roof, 637 trees and over 13 acres of native savanna plantings.
- Including interior paints, flooring, wood, adhesives and sealants.
- Multiple presentations to Zurich employees on the process and the initiatives.